New GK-2 preamp - Page 8 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > AKSA

AKSA Builders of market proven kits and modules at sound quality to rival the best in high end

Old 8th November 2012, 09:06 AM   #71
Jens A. is offline Jens A.  Denmark
diyAudio Member

I have got word from Hugh that he is working on my GK-2. The last I heard (a few days back) was that it is on the "test bench" - so now I am waiting to hear how that turns out

Meanwhile - any new impressions from you lucky sods who already got your GK-2?

Cheers,

Jens
Old 8th November 2012, 09:32 PM   #72
AKSA is offline AKSA  Australia
diyAudio Member

I'm sorry Jens, I'm nearly there, but my health is up and down. It will be person, however!

Cheers,

Hugh
Old 9th November 2012, 08:55 AM   #73
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSA View Post
I'm sorry Jens, I'm nearly there, but my health is up and down. It will be person, however!

Cheers,

Hugh
Hi Hugh,

No worries - after I got the "snarl" in my system fixed the other night and found out that it was not caused by my GK-1, I'm just enjoying music.

Doesn't mean I'm not looking forward to the GK-2, though! I think it will be fantastic in my system

I hope your health improves soon, not for the sake of my GK-2, but for your sake

Cheers,

Jens
Old 13th November 2012, 05:05 AM   #74
LPM is offline LPM  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Meanwhile - any new impressions from you lucky sods who already got your GK-2?
Hi Jens. As to further thoughts, on re-reading what Iíve said so far, I guess I havenít commented much on how I think it compares to my previous GK1. It was nice however re-reading Steveís thoughts to know it wasnít me just imagining the improved clarity and minimal distortion that remains the primary difference.

With more than a month (sorry Jens though I hear on the grapevine that yours might be there quite soon) of serious listening now, my memories of the GK1 are becoming less and less reliable. However, Iím happy to try.

Firstly, the GK2 is very quiet with no hum. I remember being impressed at the changeover time but canít really definitively say itís quieter. The bass however compared to the GK1 is particularly tight and deep, some slight roughness or grain in the highs has gone and the mids and upper mids in particular are even sweeter than before. The balance across the frequency spectrum seems spot on. Being cleaner and more open doesnít mean thinner however and there is great body and a lovely natural quality to the sound but with a wonderful sense of being completely un-muffled.

Attack is really strong and decay superb with snap and shimmer galore though without edginess. Perhaps as a consequence of the enhanced clarity, spatial detail and presence are there in spades. Of particular note, separation is much better maintained in complex passages where for example previously, a singer might seemingly merge into the band during a crescendo. Now all instruments and voices have and hold their own much more firmly presented 3D space. There appears to be no IMD that I can detect and orchestral and big band tracks are very realistic, relaxed and enjoyable. To my ear, all the individual things I normally judge on such as voices, violins, trumpets, piano and even percussion are excellent. Top imaging and focus gives great stage realism and a solid but very musical bass gives amazing drive.

I remember saying to Hugh early on in the GK2 development that I couldnít see how the modified GK1 that I loved so much could be much improved, if at all. I was wrong.
Old 13th November 2012, 11:38 AM   #75
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPM View Post
Hi Jens. As to further thoughts, on re-reading what Iíve said so far, I guess I havenít commented much on how I think it compares to my previous GK1. It was nice however re-reading Steveís thoughts to know it wasnít me just imagining the improved clarity and minimal distortion that remains the primary difference.

With more than a month (sorry Jens though I hear on the grapevine that yours might be there quite soon) of serious listening now, my memories of the GK1 are becoming less and less reliable. However, Iím happy to try.

Firstly, the GK2 is very quiet with no hum. I remember being impressed at the changeover time but canít really definitively say itís quieter. The bass however compared to the GK1 is particularly tight and deep, some slight roughness or grain in the highs has gone and the mids and upper mids in particular are even sweeter than before. The balance across the frequency spectrum seems spot on. Being cleaner and more open doesnít mean thinner however and there is great body and a lovely natural quality to the sound but with a wonderful sense of being completely un-muffled.

Attack is really strong and decay superb with snap and shimmer galore though without edginess. Perhaps as a consequence of the enhanced clarity, spatial detail and presence are there in spades. Of particular note, separation is much better maintained in complex passages where for example previously, a singer might seemingly merge into the band during a crescendo. Now all instruments and voices have and hold their own much more firmly presented 3D space. There appears to be no IMD that I can detect and orchestral and big band tracks are very realistic, relaxed and enjoyable. To my ear, all the individual things I normally judge on such as voices, violins, trumpets, piano and even percussion are excellent. Top imaging and focus gives great stage realism and a solid but very musical bass gives amazing drive.

I remember saying to Hugh early on in the GK2 development that I couldnít see how the modified GK1 that I loved so much could be much improved, if at all. I was wrong.
Hi Lyn,

What a lovely write-up

Hugh dispatched my GK-2 yesterday, so it's on its way to Copenhagen!

I agree with your GK-1 observations, and I can hardly wait to get the GK-2 into my system to get the improvements you describe.

If I can find the time to make the installation, it shouldn't be too long now. I will be keeping my lovely-sounding Siemens Gold Pin 6922 tubes, moving them from the GK-1 (which will be put to another task than my main system) to the GK-2

Cheers,

Jens
Old 25th November 2012, 09:55 AM   #76
diyAudio Member

I received my GK-2 PCB earlier this week, and after giving the instructions a good read (and a few small questions to Hugh), I am now ready to install it.

Along with installing the new PCB, I intend to install some upgraded wiring (Mundorf silver/gold 0.5 mm) and have it all done in one go. Unfortunately, there seems to be bit of delay in getting the wire, but I hope to get started next week.

If the wire does not show up then, I will install with the existing wiring and re-wire later! It's a bit difficult just sitting here waiting with the PCB just lying in the box

Cheers,

Jens
Old 11th December 2012, 04:03 PM   #77
diyAudio Member

Default GK-2 now playing

After a weekend of re-wiring and re-arranging things a bit inside the enclosure, I finally came to the point yesterday where I could install my GK-2 upgraded preamp in my system.

Since I had the "R" version of the GK-1 with an additional Relay Board, re-wiring was a little slower. In order to ensure silence, I star-earthed everything to GK-2's central earthing point.

Because the GK-2 PCB is slightly shorter than that of the GK-1, I was also able to move the trannies a little further away from the PCB.

Re-wiring was done entirely with Mundorf 0.5 mm silver/gold (1% gold/99% silver) wire sheathed in teflon.

As reported by Lyn and others, the GK-2 is very silent, and I have no hum issues at all (I did have a very slight hum issue with the GK-1, even after I got rid of the 'snarl', which was caused by signal wires running to close to toroids).

Right out of the box (if you can really say this about DIY ), it sounds pretty good, but I will refrain from making any further assessments of the sound quality just yet. It does sound fairly different from the GK-1, but that is to be expected.

I will get back with some listening impressions once the beast has got a reasonable number of hours under the belt

Cheers,

Jens
Old 11th December 2012, 07:04 PM   #78
diyAudio Member

Is the GK-2 a kit? or an update for existing GK-1 users?
Old 11th December 2012, 07:35 PM   #79
andyr is offline andyr  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffyboy View Post
Is the GK-2 a kit?
Depends what you mean by a "kit".

If you want to get the joy of soldering all the components onto a PCB ... then the GK-2 is not for you, as the main PCB comes "stuffed". However, there's still a lot of work to do to get to a functioning preamp ... so in my view, yes, it's a kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffyboy View Post
or an update for existing GK-1 users?
Given the parts which Hugh supplied with my GK-2 board, I believe he intends it to be suitable for new GK-2 owners, too.

Why don't you PM him or go to the AKSA site and email him.

Regards,

Andy
Old 20th December 2012, 03:42 PM   #80
diyAudio Member

After listening to the GK-2 for a couple of weeks I can safely say that I can vouch for the impressions that the other GK-2 users have voiced here.

The GK-2 is indeed a very different beast from the GK-1. It certainly sports a seriously improved clarity without being analytical (which in itself is no small feat), but the main difference lies elsewhere; its presentation is much more "into the music". I don't really know how else to describe it.

These are my initial impressions - and I will listen a little longer before I venture into reporting in more detail about further impressions - but I'm sure they will last

Hugh - I believe you have created a world class beast here

Cheers,

Jens

Hide this!Advertise here!