New GK-2 preamp - Page 7 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > AKSA

AKSA Builders of market proven kits and modules at sound quality to rival the best in high end

Old 3rd October 2012, 11:03 PM   #61
diyAudio Member

Default New GK-2 Preamp

Hi Lyn,

Thanks for offering to give a more in-depth review of the GK-2 preamp,
reviews are the most valuable and interesting aspect of these threads but are rarely done.

Could you also describe the difference in sound with and without the GK-2 in
circuit, ie. no preamp vs the GK-2.

Much appreciated,

Russell
Old 4th October 2012, 01:13 AM   #62
LPM is offline LPM  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Could you also describe the difference in sound with and without the GK-2 in circuit, ie. no preamp vs the GK-2.
Hi Russell,

Sorry I can’t do that exact comparison for you as the only volume control I have in my system is in the GK. I have a Soraya and conventional CD player and TT sources without their own attenuation.

Funnily enough though, perhaps I have an answer of sorts to your question. Over the last few days, I’ve been mentally making listening notes on the GK1/GK2 comparison and without going into that detail now, I’ve come to a somewhat unexpected epiphany about how different the GK2 is.

Overall I would describe the GK2 presentation as very clear, natural and I would say, ‘just right’. Incidentally, not only myself feels this way about it as a couple of hifi friends have been greatly impressed and even my wife of her own volition has expressed just how much more she likes it - and that’s a first for any upgrade.

In fact I’ll go out on a bit of a limb here. IMHO and despite only living with the GK2 for only a few weeks of actual listening time, I find it much closer to the many of the passive pre’s I have heard in its ability to pass through a clean signal whilst at the same time adding the wonderful warmth and richness that I seek with a great active pre-amp. Am I saying it’s as clean as a good passive, no it still has its own color but again, and I emphasise this is only my opinion, at last some of the minor penalties I have previously accepted by choosing an active pre have gone. Best of both worlds perhaps?
Old 4th October 2012, 10:07 AM   #63
diyAudio Member

Hi Lyn,

The GK-2 must be an impressive beast if it sounds as clean in a system as one without a preamp, whilst adding warmth and richness. I think these attributes markedly increase listener enjoyment,

Thanks,

Russell
Old 5th October 2012, 12:01 AM   #64
diyAudio Member

Hi Russell,

It is an impressive beast sure enough but to reiterate, I certainly didn't say it matches all of the good passive attributes - that would be unlikely. What I did say is that IMO, it is clean enough to get much closer than most other actives I have had experience with including the GK1. It was an observation that I thought worth passing on.

Personally I love clean, accurate detail but that alone has never completely satisfied my personal hifi needs. I am one of those where a bit of warmth and richness adds greatly to my enjoyment and on balance, I have chosen the active path in preference. What I am so pleased about now is that the improved GK2 attributes now mean that the balance is so much closer to ideal for me.
Old 5th October 2012, 02:56 AM   #65
diyAudio Member

Hello,
I would like to add a few things to these recent posts on the GK-2.
The GK-1 design was a conventional long tailed pair input stage, with 6db of gain, an interstage level control, and the tube buffer stage. The GK-2 uses Hugh's singleton input stage, a unique gain stage circuit with 11db. of gain, the same buffer stage, and the level control at the more conventional input location.
In September 2011, when Hugh and I were getting this design going we found that the interstage location for the level control just did not work at all. Once we moved the attenuator to the input, everything gelled. I was simply astounded at the clean clear sound and all the gain. During this time I was also able to do a comparison with one channel using the GK-2 and the other channel without. Once adjusted for the volume difference, the channel with the GK-2 had the same clean, clear sound as that going direct into my LF amp. And with the GK-2 you get all those db's of gain and that great buffer stage.
I was quite enthusiastic in my comments to Hugh at that time. And in our conversations since then I maintained my enthusiasm for the GK-2.
All things take time, and the time for the GK-2 is near.
Old 21st October 2012, 02:27 AM   #66
andyr is offline andyr  Australia
diyAudio Member

Just picked up my GK-2 (Xmas has come early ).

I'm looking forward to doing the swap - but it will take me a couple of weeks to get round to it, due to other things on the go.

Yours is underway, BTW, Jens.

Regards,

Andy
Old 21st October 2012, 03:30 AM   #67
diyAudio Member

Congrats Andy and thank goodness, I won't have to feel guilty any more about my early fortuitous pickup. Be interested to hear what you think after you do the swap but I'm pretty sure I know what you'll say.
Old 21st October 2012, 04:59 PM   #68
Jens A. is offline Jens A.  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyr View Post
Just picked up my GK-2 (Xmas has come early ).

I'm looking forward to doing the swap - but it will take me a couple of weeks to get round to it, due to other things on the go.

Yours is underway, BTW, Jens.

Regards,

Andy
That sounds really great!

With all the challenges Hugh have been through of late, I have not wanted to ask about it - well knowing that he would get to my GK-2 as soon as he was able to

I am so much looking forward to getting it - first of all to getting the improved sound, but secondly to getting rid of the residual "snarl" I have in my GK-1, and which I haven't bothered chasing down, because I am getting the new "baby"

Cheers,

Jens

Last edited by Jens A.; 21st October 2012 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Missing words
Old 22nd October 2012, 12:24 AM   #69
AKSA is offline AKSA  Australia
diyAudio Member

Sure it comes, Jens..... I have only three components and it's done.

I think you will be a very happy the presentation. I'm expecting Andy's review in the next month or so, he has a lot of reconfiguration for his new amp now however.

Again, sorry for the long, long delays, but now I'm starting now working quietly, building up as I recover my energy.

Cheers,

Hugh
Old 23rd October 2012, 09:07 AM   #70
Jens A. is offline Jens A.  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSA View Post
Sure it comes, Jens..... I have only three components and it's done.

I think you will be a very happy the presentation. I'm expecting Andy's review in the next month or so, he has a lot of reconfiguration for his new amp now however.

Again, sorry for the long, long delays, but now I'm starting now working quietly, building up as I recover my energy.

Cheers,

Hugh
Hi Hugh,

Well, I always tend to say that good things are worth waiting for

So I guess that would apply to an even higher degree for superb things

Cheers,

Jens

Hide this!Advertise here!