New GK-2 preamp - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > AKSA

AKSA Builders of market proven kits and modules at sound quality to rival the best in high end

Old 6th October 2011, 01:11 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

Hugh,
Put me on the list, I recently completed a new power amp and bought a super modified ONKYO CD player from Joe R (Analogue Audio) in Sydney. It now seems that my GK1 is the next "upgrade" thing. I have commenced build of an Allen Wright (Vacuum State) SVP2 all tube preamp but that will be a longer term project so a GK2 will suit me. Also the slightly higher gain will be great as the power amps I build tend to be a little short on sensitivity, I decided to put up with that rather than add another tube to the power amp.
I had the AKSA55N+ back in the system this week doing an A/B against the latest tube amp (and a sanity check to make sure the tube amp was as good as I thought it was).

Cheers,
Ian
Old 28th October 2011, 07:53 AM   #22
Jens A. is offline Jens A.  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Hi Hugh,

I know you have been busy with the Melbourne Audio Show and all. However, is there any progress on the GK-2?

Did you take a prototype to the show?

Cheers,

Jens
Old 28th October 2011, 10:54 AM   #23
AKSA is offline AKSA  Australia
diyAudio Member

HI Jens,

No, I did not, unfortunately, still struggling with the hum, which is audible from about a metre from the speaker. I have a few more tricks this weekend to go, will keep you posted.

I'm working seven days a week now and starting to fray somewhat at the edges. And it's mostly R&D, which is frustrating.

Cheers,

Hugh
Old 28th October 2011, 11:08 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSA View Post
HI Jens,

No, I did not, unfortunately, still struggling with the hum, which is audible from about a metre from the speaker. I have a few more tricks this weekend to go, will keep you posted.

I'm working seven days a week now and starting to fray somewhat at the edges. And it's mostly R&D, which is frustrating.

Cheers,

Hugh
Ah - I'm sure you will beat it in the end

And make sure that Sri feeds you some of her lovely food, so you don't fray too much!

Take care,

Jens
Old 11th November 2011, 07:23 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Hi Hugh,

By the way - will it also be possible to set up the GK-2 for "dual output"? I.e. one output from the tube section, and one output from the SS section?

Cheers,

Jens
Old 11th November 2011, 07:32 AM   #26
andyr is offline andyr  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens A. View Post
Hi Hugh,

By the way - will it also be possible to set up the GK-2 for "dual output"? IE. one output from the tube section, and one output from the SS section?

Cheers,

Jens
Hugh, I imagine this should be so but I would like you to confirm it. Won't work for me, I'm afraid, if it doesn't have bass coming out pre-tube.

Regards,

Andy
Old 11th November 2011, 12:56 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens A. View Post
Hi Hugh,

By the way - will it also be possible to set up the GK-2 for "dual output"? I.e. one output from the tube section, and one output from the SS section?

Cheers,

Jens
Jens,
If I may.................
The new circuit is a bit different to the old one. It was easy to do an output between the stages as you could just run an output off the attenuator, which was between the stages.
With the new circuit the attenuator is in the conventional position, at the signal input, and you can't take an output from between the stages.

With the new circuit you can have 2 outputs, but the second one has to be either at the beginning, off the attenuator and bypass the whole circuit, or at the end of the whole circuit.

Steve
Old 11th November 2011, 09:02 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Steve, Jens, Andy,

You could do it - and volume for both outputs would be the same and simultaneous - but there may be some reduction of sound quality because the zout of the SS stage is higher than the GK1. But I do think it's possible.....

I have the hum down to a dull roar - inaudible from about three feet from the speaker - but this is still not acceptable to me and I'm asking a young engineer pal to look it over. I have no doubt with his fresh, uncluttered mind he will find it with ease.

In the meantime I continue to lose customers about this infuriating problem.

Cheers,

Hugh
Old 11th November 2011, 10:27 PM   #29
andyr is offline andyr  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Steve, Jens, Andy,

You could do it - and volume for both outputs would be the same and simultaneous - but there may be some reduction of sound quality because the zout of the SS stage is higher than the GK1. But I do think it's possible.....

Cheers,

Hugh
Excellent, Hugh. In my case, Zin of the active XO is 100K ... so is the Zout of the ss stage less than, say, 5K?

Quote:
I have the hum down to a dull roar - inaudible from about three feet from the speaker - but this is still not acceptable to me and I'm asking a young engineer pal to look it over. I have no doubt with his fresh, uncluttered mind he will find it with ease.
You will get there. Then again, if this "young engineer pal" is Gen Z ... he may not have the attention span needed to solve an intractable problem??

Regards,

Andy
Old 11th November 2011, 11:08 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Zout of the SS gain stage is less than 200R, Andy. Should be able to drive a large pile into the harbour.....

And this particularly Gen Z is a cancer survivor - he is focussed, very determined, extremely smart and very well mannered. Must introduce you to Sam one day, you'd like him a lot!

Hugh

Hide this!Advertise here!