New GK-2 preamp - Page 12 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > AKSA

AKSA Builders of market proven kits and modules at sound quality to rival the best in high end

Old 25th April 2013, 08:40 AM   #111
diyAudio Member

Hugh, sorry to hear of your ill health. I hope you are on the mend?

After more than 10 years of service, one channel of my GK-1 has just died. Before I look at other options, what is the likelihood of being able to get my mitts on a GK-2?
Old 26th April 2013, 12:47 AM   #112
AKSA is offline AKSA  Australia
diyAudio Member

HI Mark,

Good likelihood indeed, Sire, and I'd love to sell you one!!

I can't drive yet, so could you come here one evening/weekend for a chinwag?

Cheers,

Hugh
Old 10th May 2013, 04:03 PM   #113
Jens A. is offline Jens A.  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Just a small update on the discussion previously in this thread about bass quality from the GK-2 tube output.

Some of us were having doubts about the bass precision if using the tube output in a multi-amped system, such as mine or Andy's, and I promised to do some testing in my system.

So, what I did was simply to tell my electronically controlled (via PC) digital filter/DSP units to disregard the signal coming from the separate bass output on the GK-2 that was designed according to directions from Hugh. I left the RCA plug for the bass output in place on the GK-2 to be able to switch back and forth quickly

Before making the change, I made sure to listen to some well-known tracks, where I know how the bass sounds and is presented.

After making the change, I listened to the same tracks again. My initial impression was that bass out of the tube output was a little bit "darker", but it was a very, very small difference. Mind you, I am not saying that this is better or worse, just that it was different! I also seemed to sense a slight difference in the timing of the bass, but again - this was a very small difference, and again - I don't really know if I thought that it was better or worse, just different.

So, now I have been listening to my system with the bass running from the tube output for some weeks, and after listening to quite a lot of music I feel I am about ready to switch back to having the bass being run from the special bass output on the GK-2. When I do that, I will note any differences and then I will listen for some weeks yet again with this setting, before trying out some quick switching back and forth.

Andy mentioned something about interconnects not being very long in his and my systems. Well, everything is relative and compared to the 11-metre interconnects that Andy said he used to have, my 3-metre interconnects are really short!

The interconnects run from the GK-2 outputs to the Ground Sound x-over/DSP units, which are inside each speaker. The interconnects are made up of triple Mundorf silver/gold, teflon-covered 0.5 mm wires in a standard braid. The braided wires are covered with a tinned, braided copper shield, which is then again covered with a white PTFE braid. The interconnects are terminated at the GK-2 end with silver Bullet Plugs. At the filter/DSP end they are soldered directly onto the filter PCBs. One of the three wires and the tinned copper braid act as ground, one wire comes from the GK-2 tube out and goes to input 1 on the filter/DSP units, and one wire comes from the bass output on the GK-2 and goes to input 2 on the filter/DSP units.

I will let you know how the rest of my listening tests go

Cheers,

Jens
Old 10th May 2013, 09:40 PM   #114
andyr is offline andyr  Australia
diyAudio Member

Excellent, Jens!

I look forward to your report.

Regards,

Andy
Old 11th May 2013, 12:13 AM   #115
diyAudio Member

My too, Jens, thank you for taking such careful attention to this option!

See you email inbox.........

Cheers,

Hugh
Old 7th July 2013, 09:17 PM   #116
diyAudio Member

Hello Hugh,

Out of DIy for a while and came back to hear about health issues. I sincerely hope you are doing better. Over the years of my audio hobby, the AKSA connection has been paramount. Recently, I replaced my Linkwitz Orions with the newer LX521. I was asked to demo them and decided to get out my GK-1 that had been shelved since my move to Austin (8 years !!!!!). When I last heard the GK-1, I had some hum issues that couldn't be eliminated even though the overall sound was sublime.

I was ecstatic to see that by shorting R2, I could potentially eliminate the hum. I added a shorting wire and tested with a frequency generator and scope. No signs of hum. Put into my system. WOW. This is audio reproduction nirvana.

I am drinking a great glass of red wine in toast to Hugh Dean!!!!!!!!!!!!! Here's to many years of health and good life.

Oh, just added. How do I get my greedy paws on a GK-2 ??? Would love to build or buy. Hugh, are these available ? I would be willing to build and send across USA....

Best Regards,

Dale Herman

Last edited by harvardian; 7th July 2013 at 09:25 PM. Reason: request for info on GK-2
Old 7th July 2013, 11:47 PM   #117
diyAudio Member

Dale,

Great to hear from you, thanks for the post!

We should talk via email, please send your email to me.....

Cheers,

Hugh
Old 6th October 2013, 04:57 PM   #118
Jens A. is offline Jens A.  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens A. View Post
Just a small update on the discussion previously in this thread about bass quality from the GK-2 tube output.

Some of us were having doubts about the bass precision if using the tube output in a multi-amped system, such as mine or Andy's, and I promised to do some testing in my system.

So, what I did was simply to tell my electronically controlled (via PC) digital filter/DSP units to disregard the signal coming from the separate bass output on the GK-2 that was designed according to directions from Hugh. I left the RCA plug for the bass output in place on the GK-2 to be able to switch back and forth quickly

Before making the change, I made sure to listen to some well-known tracks, where I know how the bass sounds and is presented.

After making the change, I listened to the same tracks again. My initial impression was that bass out of the tube output was a little bit "darker", but it was a very, very small difference. Mind you, I am not saying that this is better or worse, just that it was different! I also seemed to sense a slight difference in the timing of the bass, but again - this was a very small difference, and again - I don't really know if I thought that it was better or worse, just different.

So, now I have been listening to my system with the bass running from the tube output for some weeks, and after listening to quite a lot of music I feel I am about ready to switch back to having the bass being run from the special bass output on the GK-2. When I do that, I will note any differences and then I will listen for some weeks yet again with this setting, before trying out some quick switching back and forth.

Andy mentioned something about interconnects not being very long in his and my systems. Well, everything is relative and compared to the 11-metre interconnects that Andy said he used to have, my 3-metre interconnects are really short!

The interconnects run from the GK-2 outputs to the Ground Sound x-over/DSP units, which are inside each speaker. The interconnects are made up of triple Mundorf silver/gold, teflon-covered 0.5 mm wires in a standard braid. The braided wires are covered with a tinned, braided copper shield, which is then again covered with a white PTFE braid. The interconnects are terminated at the GK-2 end with silver Bullet Plugs. At the filter/DSP end they are soldered directly onto the filter PCBs. One of the three wires and the tinned copper braid act as ground, one wire comes from the GK-2 tube out and goes to input 1 on the filter/DSP units, and one wire comes from the bass output on the GK-2 and goes to input 2 on the filter/DSP units.

I will let you know how the rest of my listening tests go

Cheers,

Jens
Just a brief note to say that I have not forgotten about the SS/tube out comparison.

However, a lot of other things have been happening to my system over the last few months, plus I have been extremely busy at work - which all in all means that I have had to postpone this comparison somewhat ...

So, status right now is that I have just about gotten changes to the system under control and will listen to the GK-2 with bass sections running from the tube out for a while yet, but that I will definitely make a switch to running them from the SS out at a later time - and will let everyone know what I think

Cheers,

Jens
Old 13th February 2014, 09:52 PM   #119
diyAudio Member

First, let me say that I already have a more than good tube preamp. Nevertheless it is time for Steve and Hugh to focus some attention on the GK-2. Any more upgrades to this preamp in 2014? The GK-2 was a mod for the GK-1. Need a new
preamp name. Need a new stand alone line stage built from scratch preamp that people can buy. Steve and Hugh have worked too hard on this preamp and the audio community should hear about it. I am serious about the new name. It is time to make some new preamps in 2014. Don't let all the hard work go to waste.
Old 13th February 2014, 10:14 PM   #120
diyAudio Member

Ah, A-S, I have been trying to superannuate the GK1 and the newer 2. It's a difficult build, there are some sourcing issues, and it needs enormous care to eliminate hum. And it's hard to make any profit from it; a hybrid is always expensive in parts.

I would be happy to chat about it in email, drop me a line.......

And yes, my wife who came through my health issues and subsequent recuperation deserves huge credit. It's not been easy for her and my daughters, particularly when I spent in a coma connected to a power station for 29 days, never knowing I would live or die.

Valentines is today!

Cheers,

Hugh

Hide this!Advertise here!