• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

New GK-2 preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
New GK-2 Preamp

Hi Lyn,

Thanks for offering to give a more in-depth review of the GK-2 preamp,
reviews are the most valuable and interesting aspect of these threads but are rarely done.

Could you also describe the difference in sound with and without the GK-2 in
circuit, ie. no preamp vs the GK-2.

Much appreciated,

Russell

Could you also describe the difference in sound with and without the GK-2 in circuit, ie. no preamp vs the GK-2.

Hi Russell,

Sorry I can’t do that exact comparison for you as the only volume control I have in my system is in the GK. I have a Soraya and conventional CD player and TT sources without their own attenuation.

Funnily enough though, perhaps I have an answer of sorts to your question. Over the last few days, I’ve been mentally making listening notes on the GK1/GK2 comparison and without going into that detail now, I’ve come to a somewhat unexpected epiphany about how different the GK2 is.

Overall I would describe the GK2 presentation as very clear, natural and I would say, ‘just right’. Incidentally, not only myself feels this way about it as a couple of hifi friends have been greatly impressed and even my wife of her own volition has expressed just how much more she likes it - and that’s a first for any upgrade.

In fact I’ll go out on a bit of a limb here. IMHO and despite only living with the GK2 for only a few weeks of actual listening time, I find it much closer to the many of the passive pre’s I have heard in its ability to pass through a clean signal whilst at the same time adding the wonderful warmth and richness that I seek with a great active pre-amp. Am I saying it’s as clean as a good passive, no it still has its own color but again, and I emphasise this is only my opinion, at last some of the minor penalties I have previously accepted by choosing an active pre have gone. Best of both worlds perhaps?

Hi Russell,

It is an impressive beast sure enough but to reiterate, I certainly didn't say it matches all of the good passive attributes - that would be unlikely. What I did say is that IMO, it is clean enough to get much closer than most other actives I have had experience with including the GK1. It was an observation that I thought worth passing on.

Personally I love clean, accurate detail but that alone has never completely satisfied my personal hifi needs. I am one of those where a bit of warmth and richness adds greatly to my enjoyment and on balance, I have chosen the active path in preference. What I am so pleased about now is that the improved GK2 attributes now mean that the balance is so much closer to ideal for me.:)

Hello,
I would like to add a few things to these recent posts on the GK-2.
The GK-1 design was a conventional long tailed pair input stage, with 6db of gain, an interstage level control, and the tube buffer stage. The GK-2 uses Hugh's singleton input stage, a unique gain stage circuit with 11db. of gain, the same buffer stage, and the level control at the more conventional input location.
In September 2011, when Hugh and I were getting this design going we found that the interstage location for the level control just did not work at all. Once we moved the attenuator to the input, everything gelled. I was simply astounded at the clean clear sound and all the gain. During this time I was also able to do a comparison with one channel using the GK-2 and the other channel without. Once adjusted for the volume difference, the channel with the GK-2 had the same clean, clear sound as that going direct into my LF amp. And with the GK-2 you get all those db's of gain and that great buffer stage.
I was quite enthusiastic in my comments to Hugh at that time. And in our conversations since then I maintained my enthusiasm for the GK-2.
All things take time, and the time for the GK-2 is near.

Just picked up my GK-2 (Xmas has come early :santa3: :D ).

I'm looking forward to doing the swap - but it will take me a couple of weeks to get round to it, due to other things on the go.

Yours is underway, BTW, Jens. :)

Regards,

Andy

That sounds really great!

With all the challenges Hugh have been through of late, I have not wanted to ask about it - well knowing that he would get to my GK-2 as soon as he was able to ;)

I am so much looking forward to getting it - first of all to getting the improved sound, but secondly to getting rid of the residual "snarl" I have in my GK-1, and which I haven't bothered chasing down, because I am getting the new "baby" :D

Cheers,

Jens

Last edited:
Sure it comes, Jens..... I have only three components and it's done.

I think you will be a very happy the presentation. I'm expecting Andy's review in the next month or so, he has a lot of reconfiguration for his new amp now however.

Again, sorry for the long, long delays, but now I'm starting now working quietly, building up as I recover my energy.

Cheers,

Hugh

Sure it comes, Jens..... I have only three components and it's done.

I think you will be a very happy the presentation. I'm expecting Andy's review in the next month or so, he has a lot of reconfiguration for his new amp now however.

Again, sorry for the long, long delays, but now I'm starting now working quietly, building up as I recover my energy.

Cheers,

Hugh

Hi Hugh,

Well, I always tend to say that good things are worth waiting for :)

So I guess that would apply to an even higher degree for superb things :D

Cheers,

Jens

I have got word from Hugh that he is working on my GK-2. The last I heard (a few days back) was that it is on the "test bench" - so now I am waiting to hear how that turns out ;)

Meanwhile - any new impressions from you lucky sods who already got your GK-2? :D

Cheers,

Jens

I'm sorry Jens, I'm nearly there, but my health is up and down. It will be person, however!

Cheers,

Hugh

Hi Hugh,

No worries - after I got the "snarl" in my system fixed the other night and found out that it was not caused by my GK-1, I'm just enjoying music.

Doesn't mean I'm not looking forward to the GK-2, though! I think it will be fantastic in my system :D

I hope your health improves soon, not for the sake of my GK-2, but for your sake :)

Cheers,

Jens

Meanwhile - any new impressions from you lucky sods who already got your GK-2?

Hi Jens. As to further thoughts, on re-reading what I’ve said so far, I guess I haven’t commented much on how I think it compares to my previous GK1. It was nice however re-reading Steve’s thoughts to know it wasn’t me just imagining the improved clarity and minimal distortion that remains the primary difference.

With more than a month (sorry Jens though I hear on the grapevine that yours might be there quite soon) of serious listening now, my memories of the GK1 are becoming less and less reliable. However, I’m happy to try.

Firstly, the GK2 is very quiet with no hum. I remember being impressed at the changeover time but can’t really definitively say it’s quieter. The bass however compared to the GK1 is particularly tight and deep, some slight roughness or grain in the highs has gone and the mids and upper mids in particular are even sweeter than before. The balance across the frequency spectrum seems spot on. Being cleaner and more open doesn’t mean thinner however and there is great body and a lovely natural quality to the sound but with a wonderful sense of being completely un-muffled.

Attack is really strong and decay superb with snap and shimmer galore though without edginess. Perhaps as a consequence of the enhanced clarity, spatial detail and presence are there in spades. Of particular note, separation is much better maintained in complex passages where for example previously, a singer might seemingly merge into the band during a crescendo. Now all instruments and voices have and hold their own much more firmly presented 3D space. There appears to be no IMD that I can detect and orchestral and big band tracks are very realistic, relaxed and enjoyable. To my ear, all the individual things I normally judge on such as voices, violins, trumpets, piano and even percussion are excellent. Top imaging and focus gives great stage realism and a solid but very musical bass gives amazing drive.

I remember saying to Hugh early on in the GK2 development that I couldn’t see how the modified GK1 that I loved so much could be much improved, if at all. I was wrong.:eek::eek:

Hi Jens. As to further thoughts, on re-reading what I’ve said so far, I guess I haven’t commented much on how I think it compares to my previous GK1. It was nice however re-reading Steve’s thoughts to know it wasn’t me just imagining the improved clarity and minimal distortion that remains the primary difference.

With more than a month (sorry Jens though I hear on the grapevine that yours might be there quite soon) of serious listening now, my memories of the GK1 are becoming less and less reliable. However, I’m happy to try.

Firstly, the GK2 is very quiet with no hum. I remember being impressed at the changeover time but can’t really definitively say it’s quieter. The bass however compared to the GK1 is particularly tight and deep, some slight roughness or grain in the highs has gone and the mids and upper mids in particular are even sweeter than before. The balance across the frequency spectrum seems spot on. Being cleaner and more open doesn’t mean thinner however and there is great body and a lovely natural quality to the sound but with a wonderful sense of being completely un-muffled.

Attack is really strong and decay superb with snap and shimmer galore though without edginess. Perhaps as a consequence of the enhanced clarity, spatial detail and presence are there in spades. Of particular note, separation is much better maintained in complex passages where for example previously, a singer might seemingly merge into the band during a crescendo. Now all instruments and voices have and hold their own much more firmly presented 3D space. There appears to be no IMD that I can detect and orchestral and big band tracks are very realistic, relaxed and enjoyable. To my ear, all the individual things I normally judge on such as voices, violins, trumpets, piano and even percussion are excellent. Top imaging and focus gives great stage realism and a solid but very musical bass gives amazing drive.

I remember saying to Hugh early on in the GK2 development that I couldn’t see how the modified GK1 that I loved so much could be much improved, if at all. I was wrong.:eek::eek:

Hi Lyn,

What a lovely write-up :)

Hugh dispatched my GK-2 yesterday, so it's on its way to Copenhagen!

I agree with your GK-1 observations, and I can hardly wait to get the GK-2 into my system to get the improvements you describe.

If I can find the time to make the installation, it shouldn't be too long now. I will be keeping my lovely-sounding Siemens Gold Pin 6922 tubes, moving them from the GK-1 (which will be put to another task than my main system) to the GK-2 ;)

Cheers,

Jens

I received my GK-2 PCB earlier this week, and after giving the instructions a good read (and a few small questions to Hugh), I am now ready to install it.

Along with installing the new PCB, I intend to install some upgraded wiring (Mundorf silver/gold 0.5 mm) and have it all done in one go. Unfortunately, there seems to be bit of delay in getting the wire, but I hope to get started next week.

If the wire does not show up then, I will install with the existing wiring and re-wire later! It's a bit difficult just sitting here waiting with the PCB just lying in the box ;)

Cheers,

Jens

GK-2 now playing

After a weekend of re-wiring and re-arranging things a bit inside the enclosure, I finally came to the point yesterday where I could install my GK-2 upgraded preamp in my system.

Since I had the "R" version of the GK-1 with an additional Relay Board, re-wiring was a little slower. In order to ensure silence, I star-earthed everything to GK-2's central earthing point.

Because the GK-2 PCB is slightly shorter than that of the GK-1, I was also able to move the trannies a little further away from the PCB.

Re-wiring was done entirely with Mundorf 0.5 mm silver/gold (1% gold/99% silver) wire sheathed in teflon.

As reported by Lyn and others, the GK-2 is very silent, and I have no hum issues at all (I did have a very slight hum issue with the GK-1, even after I got rid of the 'snarl', which was caused by signal wires running to close to toroids).

Right out of the box (if you can really say this about DIY :D ), it sounds pretty good, but I will refrain from making any further assessments of the sound quality just yet. It does sound fairly different from the GK-1, but that is to be expected.

I will get back with some listening impressions once the beast has got a reasonable number of hours under the belt ;)

Cheers,

Jens

Is the GK-2 a kit?

Depends what you mean by a "kit". :p

If you want to get the joy of soldering all the components onto a PCB ... then the GK-2 is not for you, as the main PCB comes "stuffed". However, there's still a lot of work to do to get to a functioning preamp ... so in my view, yes, it's a kit. ;)

or an update for existing GK-1 users?

Given the parts which Hugh supplied with my GK-2 board, I believe he intends it to be suitable for new GK-2 owners, too.

Why don't you PM him or go to the AKSA site and email him. :)

Regards,

Andy

After listening to the GK-2 for a couple of weeks I can safely say that I can vouch for the impressions that the other GK-2 users have voiced here.

The GK-2 is indeed a very different beast from the GK-1. It certainly sports a seriously improved clarity without being analytical (which in itself is no small feat), but the main difference lies elsewhere; its presentation is much more "into the music". I don't really know how else to describe it.

These are my initial impressions - and I will listen a little longer before I venture into reporting in more detail about further impressions - but I'm sure they will last ;)

Hugh - I believe you have created a world class beast here :D

Cheers,

Jens

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.