• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

New GK-2 preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hugh,
Put me on the list, I recently completed a new power amp and bought a super modified ONKYO CD player from Joe R (Analogue Audio) in Sydney. It now seems that my GK1 is the next "upgrade" thing. I have commenced build of an Allen Wright (Vacuum State) SVP2 all tube preamp but that will be a longer term project so a GK2 will suit me. Also the slightly higher gain will be great as the power amps I build tend to be a little short on sensitivity, I decided to put up with that rather than add another tube to the power amp.
I had the AKSA55N+ back in the system this week doing an A/B against the latest tube amp (and a sanity check to make sure the tube amp was as good as I thought it was).

Cheers,
Ian

HI Jens,

No, I did not, unfortunately, still struggling with the hum, which is audible from about a metre from the speaker. I have a few more tricks this weekend to go, will keep you posted.

I'm working seven days a week now and starting to fray somewhat at the edges. And it's mostly R&D, which is frustrating.

Cheers,

Hugh

HI Jens,

No, I did not, unfortunately, still struggling with the hum, which is audible from about a metre from the speaker. I have a few more tricks this weekend to go, will keep you posted.

I'm working seven days a week now and starting to fray somewhat at the edges. And it's mostly R&D, which is frustrating.

Cheers,

Hugh
Ah - I'm sure you will beat it in the end ;)

And make sure that Sri feeds you some of her lovely food, so you don't fray too much! :D

Take care,

Jens

Hi Hugh,

By the way - will it also be possible to set up the GK-2 for "dual output"? I.e. one output from the tube section, and one output from the SS section?

Cheers,

Jens

Jens,
If I may.................
The new circuit is a bit different to the old one. It was easy to do an output between the stages as you could just run an output off the attenuator, which was between the stages.
With the new circuit the attenuator is in the conventional position, at the signal input, and you can't take an output from between the stages.

With the new circuit you can have 2 outputs, but the second one has to be either at the beginning, off the attenuator and bypass the whole circuit, or at the end of the whole circuit.

Steve

Steve, Jens, Andy,

You could do it - and volume for both outputs would be the same and simultaneous - but there may be some reduction of sound quality because the zout of the SS stage is higher than the GK1. But I do think it's possible.....

I have the hum down to a dull roar - inaudible from about three feet from the speaker - but this is still not acceptable to me and I'm asking a young engineer pal to look it over. I have no doubt with his fresh, uncluttered mind he will find it with ease.

In the meantime I continue to lose customers about this infuriating problem.

Cheers,

Hugh

Steve, Jens, Andy,

You could do it - and volume for both outputs would be the same and simultaneous - but there may be some reduction of sound quality because the zout of the SS stage is higher than the GK1. But I do think it's possible.....

Cheers,

Hugh

Excellent, Hugh. :D In my case, Zin of the active XO is 100K ... so is the Zout of the ss stage less than, say, 5K?

I have the hum down to a dull roar - inaudible from about three feet from the speaker - but this is still not acceptable to me and I'm asking a young engineer pal to look it over. I have no doubt with his fresh, uncluttered mind he will find it with ease.

You will get there. :) Then again, if this "young engineer pal" is Gen Z ... he may not have the attention span needed to solve an intractable problem?? :D

Regards,

Andy

Hi Hugh,

I am sure you will beat the hum issue in the end ;)

For me it is not a must to have two separate outputs - the real issue is getting a very detailed and precise bass reproduction, something that tubes are not always very good at.

However, if the GK-2 tube output does this really well and is capable of driving long interconnects (shielded, of course) without problems, I would not need any output from the SS stage :)

Looking forward to more news about the GK-2!

Cheers,

Jens

Jens,

Still dragging the chain..... I am going to give it to an expert on grounding, see what he says.

Output for bass can be taken directly from the SS section, though through a cap. This should work very well, in fact.

Long interconnects should be fine; Zout is around 100R.

My apologies, lots to do, have to do it all, still don't have wheels.

Cheers,

Hugh

Jens,

Still dragging the chain..... I am going to give it to an expert on grounding, see what he says.

Output for bass can be taken directly from the SS section, though through a cap. This should work very well, in fact.

Long interconnects should be fine; Zout is around 100R.

My apologies, lots to do, have to do it all, still don't have wheels.

Cheers,

Hugh

Thanks Hugh!

Would you say it would be a benefit to take the output from the SS section to drive bass alone in multi-amped system? Or is the valve output just as precise, just different?

No worries about time for me - waiting patiently for you to 'tame the beast' ;)

Cheers,

Jens

I do think there would be an advantage to the bass taken from the SS section, just as before for the GK-1. It will be tighter, and while Zout will be about the same, it is clearly worthwhile for a high definition bass driver which needs good input slam.

Hugh

Excellent, Hugh!! :) So I can duplicate what I have now with my GK-1.

(As you know, the Maggie bass panel is high definition! :D )

Feed that Gen Z electronics engineer pizza & 'V', so he solves the hum problem super-quick. :D

Regards,

Andy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.