Swordfishy/ASPEN FETZILLA power amp - Page 99 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > AKSA

AKSA Builders of market proven kits and modules at sound quality to rival the best in high end

Old 5th July 2012, 06:53 AM   #981
mikelm is offline mikelm  England
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mikelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by taniknight View Post
Hugh, et al.

Are there any other (cheaper) options
Available cheaply here:

ECX10N20R

and here:

ECX10P20R

Enjoy !
Old 5th July 2012, 07:05 AM   #982
syklab is offline syklab  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelm View Post
Available cheaply here:

ECX10N20R

and here:

ECX10P20R

Enjoy !
Very reasonable price!
Old 6th July 2012, 12:28 AM   #983
AKSA is offline AKSA  Australia
diyAudio Member

Thanks Mike!!

Agree, a very good price, even with shipping across the globe.

Hugh
Old 6th July 2012, 01:22 AM   #984
diyAudio Member

Thank you everyone for your help here.

Mike, I was alerted to Profusion just last night through Rod Elliott's ESP webpage... his P101 power amplifier uses the 2SK/J or 10N20/P20 compliments and Profusion is his suggested source. Yes.... cheap!

Procuring components is by FAR my least favourite part of this hobby. I was at the computer for nearly 5 hours yesterday, scouring through listings on multiple sites for FETZilla parts... not even exotic ones, just appropriate is satisfactory at this stage.

Anyway, the outputs are about the last parts that I still need and I can start constructing a test bed.

Thanks again everyone.
Tani.
Old 6th July 2012, 01:53 AM   #985
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taniknight View Post
Procuring components is by FAR my least favourite part of this hobby. I was at the computer for nearly 5 hours yesterday, scouring through listings on multiple sites for FETZilla parts... not even exotic ones, just appropriate is satisfactory at this stage.

yes but wasn't it satisfying when you finally found them ? kinda like .... nevermind . back on topic
Old 23rd July 2012, 07:39 AM   #986
AKSA is offline AKSA  Australia
diyAudio Member

Folks,

Been a long time.....

Recently I was in Brisbane for a week and went to see Swordfishy (aka Greg!).

Brisbane is around 1250 miles (2000 kms) north of Melbourne for those whose Oz geography is rusty... its more than two hours by A320.

He is an absolutely terrific guy. He graciously received me and my friend and gave us great coffee and a tasty Danish pastry. We chatted about all sorts of things, then repaired to his shed where he is considering installing a Buick 3.8l V6 into a pristine '88 BMW 318. Great project, Greg!!

Now, do we have anyone here who would like to give his listening impressions of the great and magnificent FetZilla?

Love to hear any views, really would......

Cheers,

Hugh
Old 23rd July 2012, 11:15 AM   #987
diyAudio Member

Still listen to mine every day
Old 31st July 2012, 11:48 PM   #988
GregH2 is offline GregH2  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi Hugh,

I haven't been on these forums much in recent months but as with most of my hobbies it seems I am returning to audio yet again, and hence am back and just saw your post.

It was great to have you up here and to finally meet you in person. Not sure the coffee was good, but the Brumby's bakery sure did a good job of the pastries!

Thanks again for making the effort to visit and for sharing some of your new and not so new ideas. I'm looking forward to seeing where you take them. As usual your infinite knowledge on practically any subject from electronics to engines and philosophy was inspiring.

I'm currently working on a new design using transistors and vertical fets. Mostly because I want a little more power and freedom from the use of exotic parts.

I have to say that trying to get vertical fets to work well in a simple circuit just illustrates how nice the lateral devices in Fetzilla are. Being able to drive them with only a few mA, and being able to completely dispense with temperature compensation is such a bonus. Using vertical fets generally requires a minimum of 3 extra active devices - drivers and Vbe multiplier. Things don't get much simpler or stable than Fetzilla and it's amazing that so few parts can come together in such a harmonious and effective combination.
Old 12th September 2012, 02:53 PM   #989
Just DIY!
diyAudio Member

Default FetZilla chassis almost finished

Hi Hugh,

Many months past since I have purchased the FetZilla but I can honestly say that I'm almost finished with the chassis!

Well, it is actually a dual amp chassis... I had bought a very large chassis to put in a ML-2 clone (Class A biased at 1 amp runs really hot...). Because there was so much space in the chassis I decided to do something original and put in the FetZilla and ML-2.

Of course they won't run at the same time due to massive heat issue that would arise BUT there's a master selector switch in the back and then I can power everything using the front momentary switch (using the AMB switch driver with Solid State Relay and temperature sensor for heatsink)

Here's a peek of what it's going to look like...

Click the image to open in full size.

Back panel

Transformer section that will be covered to hide wires

Transformer cover with PSU for ML-2 (the cable layout has changed slightly since last night...)

Sorry this one is blurry... Wires will all be nicely tied up in the end...

So there it is!

BTW, I'd love to take those board I left you last time if you still have them... Please PM me.

Thanks
Do
Old 18th September 2012, 02:03 AM   #990
ratbagp is offline ratbagp  United States
diyAudio Member

Last weekend I visited Greg (aka Swordfishy and GregH2). I took at few photos that you can see at
Bottlenecks Audio: Visiting Swordfishy (aka GregH2)

It's always interesting to meet people who you know from forums and my experience is that they are always friendly and willing to share their experience and knowledge. Greg is no exception.

ray

Hide this!Advertise here!