diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/index.php)
-   AKSA (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/aksa/)
-   -   Swordfishy/ASPEN FETZILLA power amp (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/aksa/191053-swordfishy-aspen-fetzilla-power-amp.html)

JKC 18th September 2011 09:25 PM

Berny,

Those screws are there temporary, currently I waiting for nylon screws I have ordered.

George

vzs 19th September 2011 03:45 PM

Hello Hugh,

Today I received my PCBs and parts. The boards look great!

Thank you, Zsolt

acidbrain 19th September 2011 04:17 PM

I will ,In the end when all adjustments have settled in, replace the pots P1, P2 and maybe p3 with fixed resistors. You can do that by measuring the pot's value and replace it with your favorite resistors left en right from the wiper, maybe in parallel to get the right value. IMHO it benefits the sound and also the thermal stability.
(tried it with twisted pear Legato 3.1 and Ventus)

I learned something from working with Salas his shuntboards and what brings the noise from LED's/Diodes/ Zener's down, so could I play with the value of C9 ?

Thanks, Erik.

JKC 19th September 2011 06:31 PM

Hugh,

Any news regarding test results in latest round of component changes (Lz,R10, C4?, others?)?

George

AKSA 19th September 2011 11:09 PM

George,

My thoughts are that the existing inductor specced, 27T single layer, is best. The larger inductor seems to slow things down a tad, and blows out the bass, which starts to dominate.

I'm now working on Compensation and VAS degeneration. I will get back to you!!

How is yours sounding, now you have it running? Pleased?

Cheers,

Hugh

JKC 20th September 2011 12:19 AM

Hugh,

Thank you for an update. I am in no rush to connect the speakers. I am waiting for you guys to finish the testing so I can easily change components before everything is boxed up. So far no surprises, the amp is running with dummy load for 3 days now with VAS at 14mA and 500mA bias. VAS is not overheated anymore with the heatsink I put on it.

George

AKSA 20th September 2011 01:28 AM

George,

Could you give us a photo of the VAS with heatsink?

I have not noticed any heat issues with my VAS, the padding is generous, and am a little surprised you feel it's necessary to add extra cooling. By my reckoning it's dissipating around 430mW with 12mA current; your 14mA is a tad more, I suspect you have increased it?

Cheers,

Hugh

JKC 20th September 2011 03:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hugh,

Just to clarify, it is not necessary to do this modification and your 430mW measurement is correct. It is just me, I prefer lower temperatures for active components. I got similar measurements of 420mW running without input signal and 550mW with 48W on the output. With the signal case temperature was about 48C which is still within the spec. Here is the picture.

George

AKSA 22nd September 2011 11:11 PM

My golly, George,

You should have been in charge at Fukushima - your policies would have averted disaster!!

You have glued the Al rod onto the case with epoxy, I presume?

Now, how are people going with the sound, any reviews yet?

Don't be afraid to use golden speak, my favorite is:

'I noticed a hermetic quality to the sound stage, as though it were not so much open, as expansively constrained, with strong billowing qualities to the sound as it wafted through my consciousness'.

Comment like this makes this game a hilarious entertainment, so let's have 'em......

Hugh

klewis 22nd September 2011 11:15 PM

My listening impressions are in the form of a glorious expanse of sound and vitality, all virtual and unconscious; as the amp is present in the room in the form of packages unbuilt.

Ken