• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Swordfishy/ASPEN FETZILLA power amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Paul tells me today that Mouser have a new Panasonic polypropylene cap - 1.5uF @ $2.05 part number 667-ECW-F2155JB which should be the cat's miaow......

Hugh

How about Evox Rifa PHE426/450 (met/propylene)? And also the PFR series (welded foil/propylene), for values 22nF and under. Evox Rifa is now Kemet, so the PFR series are no longer "rifas". The PHE426 seem to have the best specs and availability among the three types.

Compare the DF.

http://www.kemet.com/datasheets&PHE426HF7470JR06L2
ECW-F2155JB Panasonic Electronic Components Polypropylene Film Capacitors

The Rifas can be gotten from Mouser, but you have to use the search function to find some of the listings, since they didn't enter the categories properly:

Mouser Electronics - Electronic Component Distributor kemet PFR

Mouser Electronics - Electronic Component Distributor evox phe426

Mouser Electronics - Electronic Component Distributor evox phe450

Hmm, as I understand the Rifas have a good reputation, but the panasonics are a little cheaper... The rifas go to 27uF.

There are a few different types of the ECWF. The ECWFA has the "low hum" feature, which probably means it will exhibit lower microphonics (good for crossovers?). However it does not give very detailed DF specs. The ECWFB seems to be the standard HF low-loss type, with flame retardant in case it bursts into flames, and the ECWL seems to be tailored for high reliability.

- keantoken

Instead of waiting for the boards you can re-size images of top overlay along with the current version of PCB layout to 1:1 scale (board size is 230x69mm), then print it out. From this printout you can figure out all components dimensions and pin spacing. Hope this will help.

George

Ken,

For C3 you can use Panasonic low ESR (FR series) and for C3 Panasonic low impedance (FM series). Don't pay much attention to the voltage rating, you can use caps with higher voltage rating than 10V and 16V. Just make sure that they are the same size (not bigger that the outline on the board).

George

Ah, Ken,

These choices will not have too much influence, I don't believe, though I have to say that I've not yet built the circuit and would naturally defer to Mike and Greg.

Caps are minor deities amongst components, and everyone enjoys their own private denomination.

Yes, the pins spacings are typically 2.5mm. For these I tend to use the Black Gate NX bipolar series, but then, these are now unobtainium. So what to use, smarty pants, I hear you say?

I have had very good results with high frequency United Chemicon (UCC), and interestingly with a cheap Taiwanese cap called the Hitano EXR, their premium line. Perhaps the best choice for those of you in the US would be the Nichicon Muse, a very competent cap available from Michael Percy in Nevada City CA. Others, like George, swear by the Panasonic FR/FM caps; but I have not used them as they are more difficult to obtain in Oz.

I cannot get involved with part numbers, just generic descriptions; just too much brain damage I'm afraid. I'm not that confident that fine tuning of caps between brands is all that audible, or 'better', merely slightly different. But I'm showing my prejudices here....

I have tried hyper expensive teflon caps, the Sonicaps in fact, and have found them very good indeed, but only where they are used as couplers with no DC polarising voltage across them. When an appreciable DC polarising voltage is across a cap, say greater than a couple of volts, just about any cap starts to sound good, even electrolytics. Try it, you will be surprised.

Hope this helps,

Hugh

Last edited:
Special thanks to "smarty pants". I'm happy to ask the questions if you're happy to answer. All help is appreciated!

Thanks George for your recommendation and insight as well.

Ken

p.s. Hugh I got Paul's special secret amp running well and then accidentally blew it up yesterday... I am single handidly keeping the semi conductor manufactures in business :eek: . Sure glad they weren't Lateral Fets.

George,

Might as well ask... Trying to source everything from Mouser to keep it simple. Your thoughts on C15 - 18. Right now I have 667-ECO-S1HP472DA.

As an aside, I used to use Digikey alot and then switched to Mouser as they had some brand that Digikey didn't but, for finding caps, the search sort functions at Digikey have more information/catagories.

Ken

Hi Ken,

Nice work! A few years a go I was trying to put a "public BOM" together for a project and Mouser requested that I submit the BOM in Excel format. Is that still their practice?

Thanks,
Brad

HI Brad,

Mouser has a function where you can cut and paste from excel to make an order. You just need two columns; 1. part number, 2. quantity. I was just going to make the excel spreadsheet available so folks could cut and paste the parts they wanted into the mouser order.

Ken

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.