Swordfishy/ASPEN FETZILLA power amp - Page 100 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > AKSA

AKSA Builders of market proven kits and modules at sound quality to rival the best in high end

Old 18th September 2012, 02:48 AM   #991
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratbagp View Post
Last weekend I visited Greg (aka Swordfishy and GregH2). I took at few photos that you can see at
Bottlenecks Audio: Visiting Swordfishy (aka GregH2)

It's always interesting to meet people who you know from forums and my experience is that they are always friendly and willing to share their experience and knowledge. Greg is no exception.

ray
Looks like you had a good time - I think it's time for another round of group buys when Hugh gets better !!
Great design Greg, this was still the most rewarding hifi project for me yet.
AJ
Old 29th September 2012, 07:22 PM   #992
syklab is offline syklab  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Hi,
Finally got sometime to finish off the Fetzilla today, fixed at 24V across R12, quiescent at at 37mV and offset is less than 2mV. My transformer were marked as 26VAC but measured to be 29VAC, a bit hight. The initial listening is very sweet sound, detail and deep sound stage and I will burn in a bit more tomorrow. The only thing I not sure is the temperature is a bit high at 55 degree C without playing hard and the room is less than 28 degree C. Is this normal? Is there anything else I should check?

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 30th September 2012, 01:59 AM   #993
diyAudio Member

I ant to say something I realized recently. I as told to try different caps for the bias generator bypass. I've observed many times in the amps I've designed that simply touching this cap changed the stability of the amp drastically. This makes sense. The VAS output is a sensitive node ith large signal. Any small capacitance or nearby trace can have an effect. The bypass cap itself has a large surface area, usually most of the surface area of the VAS output trace comes from this cap. So the cap is essentially a radiator or antenna. The size of the cap you put here ill determine a lot of hidden factors such as radiation to other traces, and total capacitance to ground. Furthermore RF coupling through EM aves may turn it into an antenna.

The Fetzilla has FET outputs so the capacitance from this node is already high. The capacitor still radiates hoever. I find in my latest prototype I had to sanditch some aluminum foil in some masking tape and shield nearby traces from this capacitor in order to achieve stability comparable to simulation.

In any case, I thought it may be a good idea to solder a ire to ground and rap it a fe times around the bias generator bypass cap to short out its large EM field. I used a strip of foil stuck in tape, but I think the ire should be sufficient.

I ould try this only if you're experimenting, the official Fetzilla is fine as it is.
Old 30th September 2012, 02:07 AM   #994
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keantoken View Post
I ant to say something I realized recently. I as told to try different caps for the bias generator bypass. I've observed many times in the amps I've designed that simply touching this cap changed the stability of the amp drastically. This makes sense. The VAS output is a sensitive node ith large signal. Any small capacitance or nearby trace can have an effect. The bypass cap itself has a large surface area, usually most of the surface area of the VAS output trace comes from this cap. So the cap is essentially a radiator or antenna. The size of the cap you put here ill determine a lot of hidden factors such as radiation to other traces, and total capacitance to ground. Furthermore RF coupling through EM aves may turn it into an antenna.

The Fetzilla has FET outputs so the capacitance from this node is already high. The capacitor still radiates hoever. I find in my latest prototype I had to sanditch some aluminum foil in some masking tape and shield nearby traces from this capacitor in order to achieve stability comparable to simulation.

In any case, I thought it may be a good idea to solder a ire to ground and rap it a fe times around the bias generator bypass cap to short out its large EM field. I used a strip of foil stuck in tape, but I think the ire should be sufficient.

I ould try this only if you're experimenting, the official Fetzilla is fine as it is.
Does your Fetzilla runs hot? Which bypass cap you were refeering to?
Old 30th September 2012, 02:13 AM   #995
diyAudio Member

Bias generator bypass. Bypasses the bias pot...

My fetzilla ran fine. I just thought I ould mention it for those to hom it ould be useful to kno.

* My key does not ork.
Old 30th September 2012, 02:17 AM   #996
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to smartx21 Send a message via Skype™ to smartx21
Quote:

My fetzilla ran fine. I just thought I ould mention it for those to hom it ould be useful to kno.

* My key does not ork.

Try ALT+87 for "W" and ALT+119 for "w".
Old 30th September 2012, 02:46 AM   #997
diyAudio Member

You are the third person to suggest that! It doesn't ork for me for some reason.
Old 30th September 2012, 03:43 AM   #998
diyAudio Member

Quote:

* My key does not ork.
Is it C9 22uf that you are refeering to?
Old 30th September 2012, 04:18 AM   #999
diyAudio Member

Yes.
Old 30th September 2012, 04:20 AM   #1000
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Yes.
Hi,
How hot does your Fetailla gets?

Hide this!Advertise here!