• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

NAKSA100 Listening Impressions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Folks,

A recent review from a muso/engineer friend here in Melbourne:

REVIEW OF NAKSA100 AMPLIFIER BY JULIAN DRISCOLL JANUARY 2013

I have used this amplifier as my principal listening device for over a year, with programme material mainly jazz instrumental and vocal also some classical music.

The amplifier is pleasing for a number of reasons :

1) The bass is tight and well controlled with no flabbiness
2) A complete absence of vocal sibilance or coloration
3) String instruments have no glare or harshness
4) Treble extension is good and cymbals and percussion are very realistic
5) The actual amplifier case emits no hum or buzz at all
6) There is no problem driving my four ohm load at moderate to high volume
7) Most importantly I never feel any listening fatigue after an extended session playing my CD collection.

I have known Hugh Dean for several years and have auditioned many of his amplifiers, and I judge this one to be the best I have heard.
Being a practicing musician (trumpet) and also a degree qualified electronic design engineer and AES member fits me well to write a credible amplifier review.
My CD collection is most extensive and I claim to have good perception and judgment when it comes to quality audio components.
The speakers used were Tannoy and Dali bookshelf units in parallel.
I endorse Hugh’s design philosophies particularly with regard to the emphasis of even order harmonics. The Naksa100 is a good practical example of a practical realization of these philosophies.

I thoroughly endorse this amplifier and feel rewarded by my purchasing it. It has given me many hours of listening pleasure. I endorse it without reservation.

Folks,

A recent review from a muso/engineer friend here in Melbourne:

REVIEW OF NAKSA100 AMPLIFIER BY JULIAN DRISCOLL JANUARY 2013

I have used this amplifier as my principal listening device for over a year, with programme material mainly jazz instrumental and vocal also some classical music.

The amplifier is pleasing for a number of reasons :

1) The bass is tight and well controlled with no flabbiness
2) A complete absence of vocal sibilance or coloration
3) String instruments have no glare or harshness
4) Treble extension is good and cymbals and percussion are very realistic
5) The actual amplifier case emits no hum or buzz at all
6) There is no problem driving my four ohm load at moderate to high volume
7) Most importantly I never feel any listening fatigue after an extended session playing my CD collection.

I have known Hugh Dean for several years and have auditioned many of his amplifiers, and I judge this one to be the best I have heard.
Being a practicing musician (trumpet) and also a degree qualified electronic design engineer and AES member fits me well to write a credible amplifier review.
My CD collection is most extensive and I claim to have good perception and judgment when it comes to quality audio components.
The speakers used were Tannoy and Dali bookshelf units in parallel.
I endorse Hugh’s design philosophies particularly with regard to the emphasis of even order harmonics. The Naksa100 is a good practical example of a practical realization of these philosophies.

I thoroughly endorse this amplifier and feel rewarded by my purchasing it. It has given me many hours of listening pleasure. I endorse it without reservation.

I employed the Naksa 100 for several months and echo your sentiments.

Your review is very clear and concise except for one glaring item. How do you listen to two different brands of speakers "in parallel?" Sorry if I missed something obvious.

Hugh,
I can only surmise he meant he auditioned your lovely amp with two different speakers at different times,. I can imagine no reasonable method to simultaneously audition to different speakers.

Of all affordable SS amps yours is among my two favorites.

Hoping you and yours are well and prospering.

James

I own two pairs of bookshelf speakers
The Tannoy Fusion 1 and the Dali concept 1.
While they sound good separately I get much better bass and imaging if I have one of each on each side connected in parallel.
The units have the same cabinet volume. This connection gives the impression of a
much larger cabinet volume and is most satisfying to my ears
Julian D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.