• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Wow!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks Rom!!

I have gone back to fundamentals, and the results are just stunning, with a new dimension in natural sound.

I've been very surprised. Clearly much of what is talked about in high end circles is off the mark. Without giving too much away, I have discovered that NFB is not bad in itself, but rather it is the accuracy of that feedback, and how it's processed, that is at fault.

Fix the global NFB loop issues wrt accuracy, and the results are just astonishing.... and it has impact on bass, midrange, layering, imaging, focus, slam, speed - the entire range of audio terminology is affected.

The new Soraya is quite an amp, but I need to make wages so it's not cheap.

BUT, you do get what you pay for.....

Thanks again, Rom, you have been very supportive and I appreciate it!

Cheers,

Hugh

Hi Gaetan,

Not sure I do deserve it, I've caused a lot of trouble on the SS forum arguing with people, but I'm very grateful to the founders, administrators and moderators - they have been far sighted, and kind. :)

Here's an interesting one: winter finished just a week ago in southern Australia, and today the temperature was 29.9C - 86F - the HOTTEST September day in Melbourne on record! :cool: It's now 8pm, and the temperature is still 28C..... it's going to be a long, hot summer!

We will have a lot of fun on this forum, I'm quite sure....

Hugh

Hi Gaetan,

Here's an interesting one: winter finished just a week ago in southern Australia, and today the temperature was 29.9C - 86F - the HOTTEST September day in Melbourne on record! :cool: It's now 8pm, and the temperature is still 28C..... it's going to be a long, hot summer!

Hugh

Hello Hugh

Here in Quebec we have a very warm and suny september, there was sun every day, it's maby a record.

Bye

Gaetan

Sorry, more off topic.....

I have been something of a climate change sceptic, but anecdotally it is beginning to look as though weather patterns right around the world are beginning to change, again.

Could this be connected to the next ice age, perhaps a few hundred years down the track?

By Physics Today on September 10, 2009 11:47 AM | No Comments | No TrackBacks
NYTimes.com: The human-driven buildup of heat-trapping greenhouse gases in the atmosphere appears to have ended a slide, many millenniums in the making, toward cooler summer temperatures in the Arctic, the authors of a new study report.

Scientists familiar with the work, published journal Science, said it provided fresh evidence that human activity is not only warming the globe, particularly the Arctic, but could also even fend off what had been presumed to be an inevitable descent into a new ice age over the next few dozen millenniums.

Related Link
Recent Warming Reverses Long-Term Arctic Cooling

It would be ironic indeed if man's insatiable thirst for fossil fuels has actually prevented the coming of the next ice age..... imagine if the media tries to explain that one?

Hugh

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Hi Hugh,
Nice Digs :up:

Climate change due to human influence? Maybe...we are just the latest infestation on this planet and are insignificant in the span of it's history. We are like a virus that infects, a common cold that cause temporary discomfort and is eventually shrugged off. This is our fate.
I don't worry about such things and I'm constantly sickened by the feeble attempts by government to foist the "green" BS on us and let industry get away with murder.
We have a shopping bag fee here now - 5 cents per bag. The idea is to discourage people from using them. Now when I go to the grocery store to buy some food the check out girl is trying to stuff as much in each bag as possible - to save me another 5 cents. They ruin the bags, making them unusable for anything else. They don't listen when I say "it's only another nickel...won't break me"
The other day I bought a package of steaks, you know, RAW beef...she put it in on top of my fresh loaf of bread! What an idiot! So, the plan, save the environment and choke on the E-Coli...
At the hardware store: I bought a bunch of small plumbing parts. The girl checked it all in, I paid with credit card and she says 'Cya"...I says "what, no bag?"...She says "that's 5 cents extra. You want one?"...I says "Sure, put that 5 cent charge on my credit card - here it is again, I don't have any change....." NOT! Ridiculous! "I can't just give you one" she says "we could be charged!"
Give ME a break!
I could go on but I'll spare you.

Sorry, more off topic.....

I have been something of a climate change sceptic, but anecdotally it is beginning to look as though weather patterns right around the world are beginning to change, again.

Could this be connected to the next ice age, perhaps a few hundred years down the track?

It would be ironic indeed if man's insatiable thirst for fossil fuels has actually prevented the coming of the next ice age..... imagine if the media tries to explain that one?

Hugh

Hugh
It appears that the current number of sunspots are at an all time low.
The peak of Solar Cycle 24 in 2013 is predicted to be one of the lowest since solar cycle 16 in 1928, and 9th weakest since the 1750s. Appears that there is a strong correlation between sunspot activity and solar output.The Little Ice Age, Maunder Minimum ((1645-1715) and the Dalton Minimum (1790-1820) corresponded with long periods of low sunspot activity.
Quoted in part from an editorial in Silicon Chip's current issue.
Kind Regards
Alex
P.S.
Perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned your "good mate" Leo ?

Thanks John, Gaetan and Sandy,

I agree, there is strong correlation with sunspot activity and solar output. Greenhouse gas buildup is, however, also a cause, at no other time in geological history has CO2 built up so quickly as the last fifty years, and this would seem to be connected with human activity - and a good deal of bovine wind, not to mention electricity generation and transportation. So, there are many factors, which makes it fertile ground for interest groups and lunatics alike.

Leo? Ah, no, we cannot deny him his opinions, smelly though they be. As you know, like you I'm most interested in SS, but I was enraged when I read his withering editorial about tube amplifiers. :mad: No one has the right to pour derision upon the choices of others just because they have a different opinion; the facts speak otherwise, there are many who would never deviate from their thermionic choice and good luck to them. Intolerance in any form, particularly from an influential soapbox like the editor's chair of Silicon Chip, is not on, and aside from being morally wrong is actually indefensible factually. The man is plain wrong, THD does NOT fully define the sound of an amp, and good tube amps can sound sublime. Just silliness really.

In early Feb this year my state, Victoria, suffered dreadful bushfires which all but completely destroyed two towns in forested regions just north and north east of Melbourne. The experts tell us that the combined carbon output of these fires on 7th February exceed Victoria's complete carbon output for power generation and transportation for more than one year. :headshot:

IOW, while there is unquestionably too much carbon dioxide emitted by power and transportation across the planet, natural disasters, particularly bushfires and volcanic eruptions, have the potential to hugely exceed our daily use anyway..... and no one is talking about the greatest greenhouse gas of all, water vapour.......

Cheers,

Hugh

Thanks John, Gaetan and Sandy,

Leo? Ah, no, we cannot deny him his opinions, smelly though they be. As you know, like you I'm most interested in SS, but I was enraged when I read his withering editorial about tube amplifiers. :mad: No one has the right to pour derision upon the choices of others just because they have a different opinion; the facts speak otherwise, there are many who would never deviate from their thermionic choice and good luck to them. Intolerance in any form, particularly from an influential soapbox like the editor's chair of Silicon Chip, is not on, and aside from being morally wrong is actually indefensible factually. The man is plain wrong, THD does NOT fully define the sound of an amp, and good tube amps can sound sublime. Just silliness really.

Cheers,

Hugh

Hello Hugh

I did not see that editorial from Leo Simpson, which month/year it was, I'm currious to read it and I will read it on the Silicon Chip web site.

Thank

Bye

Gaetan

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.