diyAudio - View Single Post - Commercial Gainclone kit- building instructions
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2008, 05:19 PM   #77
Peter Daniel is offline Peter Daniel  Canada
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
The important aspect about sharing a single transformer and common rectifiers per two amp channels is power star ground.

While you could simply run PG+ and PG- (ground) wires from rectifier board to each amp board, in some setups hum problems were reported and presently I always use star (power) ground in all my amps.

I simply achieve it by connecting output grounds (OG, on the opposite side of speaker wire connection) with a 14ga solid core copper wire.

The center of that wire is my power star ground and both PG+ and PG- grounds from rectifier board connect here. In the picture below the connections are so short that I used single runs of wire, normally I use two wires for both PG+ and PG-.

Please note that power ground is also directly connected to the chassis.

I specifically refer to it as power star ground, as signal wires from RCAs are not connect directly here. They connect through separate traces on PCB to OG (output ground) pads.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gr.jpg (93.8 KB, 10349 views)
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC