Which amplifier for Bouyer RB90?

Strange. I get different replies from different sources for this question. Could some kind, wise soul advise me please? :rolleyes:

I've a pair of Bouyer RB 90 speakers (picture below) which I'd like to use as a stereo pair. They measure about 88cm x 40cm x 30cm. On the back they're marked Impedance = 16Ω, power = 80W.
  1. Can anyone recommend a model and specification of Bouyer stereo amplifier that goes with these speakers?
  2. Do I need to use a preamplifier too?
  3. What should be the impedance of the main, stereo amplifier?
  4. Does the amplifier's power rating refer to 'per channel' or 'both channels' and which should I apply here?
  5. Does the amplifier's impedance refer to 'per channel' or 'both channels' and which should I apply here?
An online calculator says I need an amplifier of 72W to 96W max., but is that per channel (left and right), or for both?

In a nutshell: which model of stereo, Bouyer amplifier should I look for?

Thanks for your help.

Bouyer_RB 90.jpg

Bouyer electronics are mostly "public address" and to my knowledge are all in mono (at least I have never seen any in stereo) so you would need two.
The advantage is that they are not expensive and they are indestructible, the disadvantage is that they do not sound good, they are all amps with multi-winding output transformer with more electronic diagrams close to a welding station than to an amp.
The best you have to do is find a stereo PA amp of at least 200Wrms and with a large power supply, typically a PA amp from a well-known brand from the 80s/90s.
16 ohm won't stress the amp, but you need double the power and therefore a power supply to match.

Hello huggygood,

Thank you for your expert reply, particularly with regard to Bouyer speakers usually being for mono PA use.

By 'power supply to match' (at 'double the power'), I guess you're simply referring to the power of the amplifier needing to be 2 x 80W = 160W max.

I have not (so far) been able to find 16Ω impedance amplifiers to match, I think they've all been 4Ω or 8Ω. I'm aware I need to match the amplifier's impedance with that of the speakers (16Ω).

The following Bouyer amplifiers have the following impedances in their specifications:

at 70V:

PA 1050 = 100Ω
PA 1100 = 50Ω
PA 1180 = 27Ω

at 100V:

PA 1050 = 200Ω
PA 1100 = 100Ω
PA 1180 = 55Ω

...none of these match the 16Ω impedance of the Bouyer RB 90 speakers.

Online, I've found the following (foggy) pictures of amplifiers associated with the Bouyer RB 90's. (No guarantee they're an appropriate amp choice!) I'll try to find out what these are. (Bottom one is an AS 105.)

amps_for_Bouyer_RB 90?.png

Bouyer_AS105.jpg

The speakers are 16 Ω and use two identical speakers, so those must be wired OR in series OR in parallel. To exhibit a 16 Ω nominal load, the two woofers are 32 Ω if wired in parallel, or two 8 Ω in series. The power ( max 80 W ) is shared between the two ( plus the tweeter), so it gives a figure of 40 W power handling each speaker. Now put a no-brand amplifier that elevates the voltage from its input like all the amplifiers do, and give gain and listen. If it's not enough, try more than the usual 30-50 W but the 80 W limit is still there, despite the not-so-perfect impedance matching - which is not true! It's true for output transformer coupled circuits such as tube amplifiers.
Solid state loves high Z! ( not true: it gives a little more resistance so it's a little harder to drive, but the opposite, low Z such as a 4 Ω load, is more dangerous since current flows much more) - indeed they love it!