• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

CCS: what is the best Vb?

Thank you all.

Is there a target impedance you chase for the CCS at the bottom of a LTPI?

Is there any drawback in using the first node of the bias supply for it? There will be enough negative voltage to use an higher value zener and exceed 1 MOhm with one single bjt.

Are 2 mA fine for the zener?

Thanks in advance.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
You'll be doing extremely well if your CCS figure of merit
  • (Output Impedance) x (DC constant current in amperes)
exceeds 4E+4 ohm*amps

Example: if output impedance is 10 megohms and DC constant current is 5 milliamps, then the figure of merit equals (1E+7) * (5E-3) = 5E+4 ohm*amps. That's excellent performance.

Reactions: 1 users
You'll be doing extremely well if your CCS figure of merit
  • (Output Impedance) x (DC constant current in amperes)
exceeds 4E+4 ohm*amps

Example: if output impedance is 10 megohms and DC constant current is 5 milliamps, then the figure of merit equals (1E+7) * (5E-3) = 5E+4 ohm*amps. That's excellent performance.
This is a really useful rule of thumb I wasn't aware of

IIRC the best result I had with a simple 2 bjt, or single fet CCS was about 2M at 8mA, (2e^6)*(8e^-3)

So not all that good 🤣

There's an old and very expensive guitar tube amp which used one of these on the bottom of the phase inverter:
https://www.mouser.it/datasheet/2/362/P22-23-CRD-1729293.pdf

Guitar and Bass tube amps are used to have 10k to 22k (with different loads on the two triodes) up to 47k (with equal loads on the two triodes) on the bottom of the phase inverter. So they are designed to be very unperfect.
Are those current regulating diodes in the same range of impedances? I haven't found those information on the datasheet.